LL.M. in International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights
Académie de droit international humanitaire et de droits humains
Université de Genève (UNIGE)
- Lieu de formation
- Langue d'enseignement
anglais - français
- Type de formation
Hautes écoles universitaires HEU - Formation continue: formations longues
- Modalités temporelles
À plein temps
- Thèmes de formation
- Domaines d'études
Mise à jour 07.09.2020
Description de la formation
An LLM/Master of Advanced Studies (MAS) (60 ECTS credits), awarded by the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies.
This one-year postgraduate degree course provides advanced, comprehensive and practical training in international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL), international criminal law, as well as the interplay between them.
5 core courses:
- International Law
- International Refugee Law
- Human Rights Law
- International Criminal Law
- International Humanitarian Law
A combination of optional courses and professionalizing activities (internships, law clinic, etc..)
Provide in-depth knowledge and legal expertise in international law applicable in times of armed conflict and other emergency situations.
Develop strong legal analysis skills relevant to a wide range of complex situations of violence.
Develop both practical and theoretical legal approaches to issues related to international law in armed conflicts and other situations of violence.
Provide opportunities for relevant and enriching internships in various Geneva based international organizations and NGOs.
- A full degree in law (received by June at the latest) enabling the applicant to sit the bar exam in the relevant country; or another degree if the applicant has a significant amount of training in public international law and courses related to our programme (e.g. international human rights law, international humanitarian law, international criminal law)
- A strong academic record
- A demonstrable interest in the subject matter of the programme (e.g. internships, summer school, conferences attended, articles)
- A sound command of English. Students whose mother tongue is not English and who have not taken an English-taught bachelor’s or master’s degree or do not have at least two years’ professional or academic experience in an English-speaking environment must provide a certificate to prove their knowledge of English
- A passive knowledge of French is an asset as students might have to attend conferences and class presentations in French.
People holding a full degree in law or with a strong background in law if holding a degree in another field. Candidates must demonstrate interest in the field of international law in times of armed conflict and other emergency situation.
Lien sur l'admission
- Master of Advanced Studies MAS
Diploma jointly awarded by the University of Geneva and the IHEID
(60 ECTS credits)
Lieu / adresse
- Genève (GE)
Rue de Lausanne 120B
Début des cours
September, every year
Durée de la formation
12 months (4 days a week)
- À plein temps
Most courses are taught in English. Some exams can be taken in French and questions in class may be asked in either language. The LLM paper can be written in French.
Renseignements / contact
Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights
Tél.: +41 (0)22 908 44 88